Monday, March 31, 2008

Strangeness

From many sources....

For one, there are those who say that when the Large Hadron Supercollider is fired up, it could well end the world, by forming unstable mini black holes, right here in River City. But others say no, even if it did, they'd vanish immediately. Seems like the sort of thing you'd want to be Real Sure About, doncha think?

For another, I took too much insulin tonight, and am consequently a little on the spacy side, at the moment. Not to worry. Probably.

And then there's the well-known peacekeeper, Al-Sadr, who told his troops (does your cleric have his own troops?) to stop fighting, but oh yes, he wants amnesty for all of them, and release of the captured ones... and they get to keep their arms, too. Sounds like a get out of jail/pass GO and collect two hundred dollars combo deal... but of course, I don't understand Iraq the way, say, Jawge does...

I think I'll go get some sleep. Perhaps things will be clearer in the morning. Oh, and the Calvin quote in the header? It comes from here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to be an astronomer when I was little, but then I learned about blackholes and for whatever reason they terrified me and I decided I no longer wanted to be an astronomer. I think I have the discovery channel to blame for the fear mongering haha.

Calvin is always so profound hah.

Cerulean Bill said...

Black Holes fascinate me, only if they're someplace very far away. THe idea of the time dilation at the event horizon, not to mention the possibly that they're the entry point to a worm hole, is amazing. And then there's the whole thing of 'grey holes', which I thought was a bit of a cop out...

Unknown said...

Yeah, now that I have gotten over my fear I find them interesting too.
There is a Stargate episode where the stargate ends up being opened up to a world that gets swallowed by a blackhole. I remember Jack and some other evil guy were battling it out and everyone watching the events saw them as going really really slowly because of the time dilation. Ehem, end of nerdiness.

Cerulean Bill said...

End of nerdiness? Say it ain't so....