Sunday, March 23, 2008

Reading, Thinking

We had another thought about an elevator. Its not a complete thought, but -- our house, being a bilevel, has a front door on one level, with steps going up and down to the levels. Okay. Take out the up-flight. Put the elevator there, wiping out the up-flight and the closet that's below it. Open the wall into the living room, put a new up-flight from the landing into there. Leave the down flight as it is. Granted, that leaves the minor problem of the front door, which would open right into where the 'new up-flight' would be, but it's a thought....

My daughter went up to her grandmothers house yesterday. She's sorry that she did. First off, the routinely late aunt was seriously late, on the order of two and a half hours late. Normally, its about an hour late. Second, when they got there, the aunt insisted on calling to tell us that it was a wonderful drive up; the daughter offered the opinion later that it wasn't wonderful, it was just okay - four people, small car. I reminded her that for that aunt, 'okay' equates to wonderful. If it actually had been wonderful, that would have equated to fabulous, unbelievable. Did I mention that this aunt used to live in southern California? Third, it was decided that the four of them, minus the father, including the grandmother, should go to the movies. Since the grandmother (allegedly) only likes G Rated movies, they saw: Horton Hears a Who, which, my daughter told us afterwards, was even worse than she thought, the experience made even more delightful by the presence of screaming kids in the theater. She can hardly wait to get home again. Apparently, this morning the aunt had a vociferous argument with her daughter because you could, gasp, see the strap of her camisole. And on Easter! In her old home-town church!

I think it's hideous that we're willing to take people into the military, or into government service, send them into Iraq, but then find them lacking when it comes to citizenship. Hideous, reprehensible, abominable. BushAndCheney-like.

Reading the Sunday papers, I see again where white people just cannot possibly understand the rages that black people feel each and every day. Okay. Since you say I cannot, I guess I won't try. Yes, I know thats not what you want -- but, given that you've said I cannot, and given that my feeling is there is no upside here for me, why should I make the effort? That's rhetorical... somewhat. But if Obama loses the nomination because of that pastor's intemperance, a status of him is going up on my mantel, right next to the statue of Nader, while I go find my shotgun for some in-home target shooting. And I don't even have a shotgun.

On the plus side: Happy Easter!

No comments: