Friday, March 14, 2008

Sutured

Upon doing a check of internal systems upon awakening, I was - surprised. I feel okay.

First off, my mouth aches only a little bit. If I press on certain places, it'll tell me don't do that; mostly, beneath my nose, which means smiling broadly and talking loudly - not to mention, kissing (sigh) - are going to be out for a bit. But thats it. I don't feel anything from where the work was done. Now, it's possible that what I'm feeling -- or not feeling -- is really aftereffect of the anesthetic, but I don't think so. I think things are, at least initially, going reasonably well.

And the whole wake up sequence, that was good too. It's damp outside, so every so often I get a bit of a cool breeze in here. I like that. Also, there are a couple of birds singing out there. Not a flock, which can actually be annoying, but just the occasional twirp and chirp. I like that.

I was awake around 3:30, as was my wife. I mentioned, joking, that it must be time for the middle of the night Jello run, and she asked if I'd like some -- then went and got it. Holy Kamoly! I did discover that eating Jello lying down in the dark has the minor downside that you might drop some in your beard, and then trickle down to the sheets -- but thats no big deal. Feels kind of funny, actually. Which is as nothing to reaching down and finding two of the EKG lead stickers still attached to your chest. I can't see it, but I don't THINK parts of me are supposed to peel off.

And I slept well.

Who knows what today will bring, but for right this minute? Hey, not bad.
==============
Update:

Just got a followup call from the surgeon. My wife had noticed that he has a habit of saying something positive, and then partially retracting it, so I wasn't surprised when he said that the surgery had gone well, but that some of the bone was softer than he liked, so he had to move the placement a bit; that I'll be able to wear the temporary upper plate once the swelling goes down, though, since the bone isn't completely hard, thats likely something I'll want to do only rarely; and that I should be happy with the result, particularly since I'm a good healer, and its best if I wait eight months, because if one of the implants hasn't integrated by then, it won't, and will have to be removed.

I don't really care, because, by god, its done.

6 comments:

STAG said...

Eat yogurt. Make the bones grow harder.

Cerulean Bill said...

There are those who say my head is pretty dense enough....but sure, I'll do that. Thanks.

Rach said...

milkshakes are always a welcomed treat after dental visits, around here.

I'm glad things went well and you're feeling pretty good. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Milkshakes -- what a great idea!

Angie said...

Glad you made it through successfully!

Cerulean Bill said...

Its amazing what I've come to consider 'successful', I think... thank you for the sentiment.