Wednesday, March 19, 2008

HBR Jabber

I've mentioned in the past that when I was really into management theory (which now I think of as 'my misguided youth'), I would read the Harvard Business Review. I saw it as my guide to how the people who run businesses actually think - what they value, how they set those goals that come out on the company emails and whatnot. I did not see myself as ever being one of them, but I felt that if I knew what they were aiming at, I'd at the least know the concepts, be able to use the buzzwords. Golly, my managers would say, you really are in tune with the curent thinking, Bill. Come over here and sit in this comfortable chair.

It didn't quite work out that way.

A few moments ago, I came across a web page for the HBR, and like a reformed pot smoker scenting the faint aroma of the weed, I thought Hmmm....let's see what they're up to.

Well, for starters, there's this article - Staying Upbeat Through a Downturn - When recession looms, its critical to spread confidence throughout your organization. Here's how to do it. Did you notice that the hyperlink's page name is 'BuckEmUp'? At least they do note that nobody likes a smiling fool.

And there's an offer to sell this book -- Retirement: Good news: there is no need to retire. There is no need to pack up your desk or attend one more retirement party. Why? With the widening gap between the number of workers and the demand for talent, employers are looking to keep smart, productive workers. Only, perhaps, their definition of smart and productive isn't quite the same as mine....nor is their intent about paying for such qualities. This is, after all, a C-level managers manual, and they aren't usually too concerned with their worker's problems.

I don't think I'll drink the Koolaid, this time around.

No comments: