Saturday, March 29, 2008

Watched

My daughter said that her watch had stopped working, so I took it to get a new battery. Gee, they said, we tried a new battery, but it still doesn't work. My wife speculated that it had gotten wet. Sly fox that I am, I said to my daughter 'It doesn't seem to work, as if it had gotten wet or something.' "Gee:, she replied, "it worked after the last time it got wet".

Hmm....

So we're apparently going to get her a new watch. Now, when I was in the jewelry store, I noticed their display of Rolexes, along with a discreet sign to the effect that they required ID before letting you try one on (!). We won't be doing that, or even going their to look at inexpensive watches. But maybe this time, we'll look at water-resistant ones. Or not -- I don't know what that adds to the cost. I don't buy watches all that often -- the one I'm wearing now is about fifteen years ago, on its third band; prior to that, I had a bulky one that I bought in Thailand (touring there courtesy of the Air Force). I do have a very nice, sleek black one that my wife gave me, which I wear for Special Occasions (I have to look every so often to see if its battery still works). I also have a wind-up pocket watch that was my grandfathers, back when he was a railroad conductor. Its a cheap one, but I keep it secreted away, because I like it.

A new watch? That I have to pay for? Watch me.

4 comments:

Cerulean Bill said...

Perhaps your classy watch and mine could go out together. As the choice would be cosmopolitan London or cowsmopolitan Mechanicsburg, and you do have that big honkin' clock tower, I know which I'd prefer.... hands down.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, they'd certainly get wound up, for sure....

Unknown said...

I used to collect the things, but now I have two: one for general use, and one I wear for the motorcycle.

It's slim, like I used to be, and is good under the gloves, etc, even if I can't see it unless I actually stop. Something I'm loath to do on a bike. :-)

:-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

Now thats something I never thought of. I'd guess that when you're moving, even at a moderate speed, its a significant hassle to have to peel back a glove or cuff, not to mention, focus on the vibrating face of a -- where the HELL did that truck come from?