Friday, March 21, 2008

Modern Policing

There are jobs of which its commonly said that you really can't judge it without doing it. One of those is being a cop, particularly, being a cop in a big city. I don't doubt that such is the case. But when I read about cops using their cruisers to chase people on foot (not just chase after, stop, get out, get them, but chase after, bump with, sometimes so hard the person goes flying) -- I feel perfectly competent to judge them -- and when I learn that the police department merely suspends involved cops for two days, if at all -- I've got to wonder. Because I've got to say, this kind of thing is very disturbing to me.

I think the official position would be 'This is disturbing to us, too', and the unofficial position would be 'You don't understand', and possibly ' These people aren't jaywalkers, they're scum - thieves, rapists, murderers - so, anything we do that results in deterring them, catching them is all okay'. I think of that as the waterboarding defense, and from the safety of my own home here in rural Pennsylvania, I scorn it. I know that being a cop, even here, is a long way from Andy and Barney -- but I scorn it.

I'm sure Dick Cheney would approve, though, so it must be okay.

No comments: