Sunday, March 16, 2008

NetFlixd

The other day, I rented Down Periscope, a comedy flick. I've seen it before (just about everything that I rent is something I've seen before), but I always enjoy it. This time, I did something a little different. I copied the disk to my hard drive so that I could watch it at will. I believe that the technical term for that is 'illegal'.

Afterwards, I mulled over why I had done that. After all, Netflix will let you keep the disk indefinitely. I pay about $18 a month to rent three, so if a single DVD costs about $20 (does it? I have no idea), then after about three months, it'd be worth it just to buy the darn thing. But if I had a video that I really liked, and I wanted to keep it for a year -- I could, no problem. In fact, I would bet that NF would be delighted -- they get my money; they have to do nothing in return. So why copy it?

The only thing I can think of is that this makes it mine. I'm not locked to 'got to have the disk in the drive'; don't hear the drive whining up when I turn on the laptop. I don't have the speakers getting automatically turned on after I was careful to turn them way down, or off, for some late-night watching. It takes less juice to watch it from the hard drive than to spin the CD. Its not much of a reason. There's a decent chance that I'll keep the video, too -- not planning to steal it, but that might be the result. And that, I'm sure, is illegal. But the convenience to me is worth the moral transgression.

Strange, huh?

No comments: