Sunday, March 09, 2008

Taxed

Well, the federal and state taxes are done. It's pretty easy to do, using tax software, though, as always, you find yourself echoing the line from a science fiction novel - "Doing taxes can be fun, but why does everyone have to play?" We were startled to find that we were something like $125 short of a threshold for itemizing medical expenses. We don't know if that means we're paying more taxes than we need to, or not, and frankly, at the moment, we don't really care. The gummint needs the money, anyway.

I am looking forward to this week being over. I have a followup appointment with the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow (yeah, looks good, a little weak but keep working on it, okay, bye), my mother has an appointment with a cardiologist to address her shortness of breath, my wife has an appointment with the general practice nurse, and then on Thursday, tada, I have the oral surgery. At least in theory, this whole process having been delayed multiple times. And my daughter has a slight fever, which may have transmitted itself to me as a minor cold. Oh, joy. Still, by the end of the week, we should be past all of that. I may be popping serious pain meds by then (hope not), but it'll be over. Funny thing, though. Every time you crest a hurdle, you get about a week or so of slack, and then another appears. Weird how that works.

Read an interesting and lengthy article about Obama in today's New York Times. Got the feeling they don't really care for him, pointing out that for all of his star power, he hasn't been a massive and prominent force -- but also noting that its difficult to be such in an organization where the average member is twenty years older, most of it spent working there. I was dismayed when they said that part of the calculation to run was specifically because he doesn't have much of a record in the Senate -- short record means fewer enemies. How the heck did we come to this pass?

But the taxes are done. Well, the big ones. And we're getting a refund, mostly because I stopped working a quarter year earlier than planned. Of course, I've already spent it, and then some, for this surgery, but still, its nice. Now, if we can just get through this week...

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

yeah, I gotta do taxes this week myself. I'm so dreading that.

Cerulean Bill said...

We use the online Turbo Tax product. Its a little pricy but pretty easy to use, and it efiles the federal and state (or prints, your choice) . We also use Quicken (an old copy; I despise the current version) to track what we've paid out.