Friday, March 28, 2008

Lunch

Today, I had lunch. The occasion was the departure of one of my former coworkers from the office where I worked. She's not leaving IBM, though. Her move is a serious improvement -- she won't be on call, won't work on weekends, won't have to deal with auditors, won't have to deal with customers. Oh, and she'll be working from home. To say that I am envious would be to put it mildly -- but if this could have happened to anyone (other than me, of course), I'd have picked her, because she's a really nice person who works really hard, and she deserved it.

So they took her out to lunch. I've never understood why organizations usually take you out to lunch when you're leaving. They don't take you when you arrive, they usually don't go out while you're there -- but when you're leaving, sure, lets do lunch. I came along, and I'm glad I did. It was nice to see these people again... and it was nice to find out that they're in the middle of another audit. I liked missing that. I miss the tech stuff, I miss the people, but audits? Keep 'em.

Let's do lunch.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I survived one - quite serious -audit! No thanks to my boss, however. He tried to hide the bad (the auditors hinted they'd found out, anyway), and really made the good sound, well, mediocre.

Ah well: I came out of it all really well. My boss didn't.

But no, I don't miss explaining to some Senior Manager that their data isn't available, without saying "because you turned down the request for money to fix the damn thing!" Can't say I miss the people I worked with, either... (The boss created a highly political atmosphere!)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

When I was at EDS, I used to say that we should change the sign out front to say 'EDS -An Auditor-Friendly Company'. Then I went to IBM, which never met an auditor it didn't cherish.

I don't have a problem with the concept of audits. I don't even have a problem with being told that what makes sense to me as a techie doesn't make sense from the perspective of trying to protect against someone with a larcenous mind. I have a real problem with how they're executed. Its basically Guilty Until Proven Guiltier.

genderist said...

I have a watch that a rarely wear. The Hater just lost his watch. For the moment we're a watchless family.

Cerulean Bill said...

Ah, G, but if you turn that first letter upside down, you go from being watchless to matchless... and if you REALLY want a watch, I've got one that you have have, cheap. Guaranteed to be right twice a day...