Thursday, October 04, 2007

Putting it in the Vault

I like the idea of having an organized health care record that would track when immunizations were given, surgical procedures done, drugs supplied, and doctors seen. I have somewhat of a problem having such a data store being on the web, where, so far as I'm concerned, anything is fair game. I like the access to things from home -- being able to manipulate my financial accounts, for example; would that more (or any) medical offices would let me do this this; heck, just being able to make a damn appointment would be nice -- but I know its a double-edged sword. Major corporations have the time and resources to make it secure (as secure as possible, anyway), but whether they will is another question.

And when its Microsoft, I have an upfront problem with the concept. I just can't believe they'd live up to the common sense interpretation of this phrase, from their Health Vault site:

We do not use your health information for commercial purposes unless we ask and you clearly tell us we may.

So long as there is a world where I can easily envision a smarmy but dapper Microsoft lawyer casually saying 'Well, we don't regard the use of their data in ways other than selling it to another company to be 'commercial purposes'. " -- well, I don't think I'll be signing up.

At least, with them.

No comments: