Friday, October 05, 2007

Obama's Pin

Barack Obama doesn't wear an American flag pin.

He says that wearing a pin has turned into a substitute for actual patriotism, and that its more important to be patriotic than simply to appear patriotic.

"My attitude is that I'm less concerned about what you're wearing on your lapel than what's in your heart. You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who serve. You show your patriotism by being true to our values and ideals. "

Discussions about what patriotism really means (and, boy, you can just see the flames on that one) aside, that line about "being true to our values" hits home. I'm still not prepared to vote for a ticket with Obama at the head, but in the number two slot? No question about it.

2 comments:

genderist said...

He deserves top billing!

Cerulean Bill said...

I'll make you a deal: You vote for him in the primaries, I'll vote for Hillary. In the presidential, I'll vote for him if he's the one, and you vote for Hillary if she's the one.