Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sugared

Fortunately for me, I don't live in London.

It's not that I don't like London -- I do, quite a lot. I'd commute there if I could, even given that there is apparently no way on the earth that I can eat there unless I bag it or stick to Italian restaurants. But I was just poking around the web, and came across a web site called Darksugars, where I read the following -- "Mouth wateringly rich chocolate truffles, liqueur-soaked dried fruits dipped in the most indulgent of high quality chocolate…" Oh, my goodness, I thought, I need to stay away from this place. I went on to read " Dark Sugars lovingly hand makes delicious quality chocolates right here in London." Oh, good, that won't be a problem.

Food's been on my mind of late. When we ate at the local restaurant last night, I had an excellent meat lasagna. It was somewhat more than I wanted, but I made a determined effort at it (and, in fact, my wife had them box up the remainder) because the meat filling wasn't your average ground-beef-in-tomato-sauce. I don't know what it was -- the closest I can come is that it almost tasted like taco meat. I'd really like to know -- unless it turns out that it was, like, fried squirrel nuggels in soy sauce. Then, maybe not. But it was good. It was just about exactly what I'd put into a lasagna if I were to make one. I had planned to do that tonight, in fact, but the rescheduling of the football game blew that away. Perhaps I'll do some lightweight baking today -- chocolate chip cookies, or something like that. I do want to try my daughter's classic cookie recipe, but with the substitution of solid shortening for some of the butter. I had always thought that shortening was for people who preferred not to use butter because they didn't like the taste, couldn't eat it, or didn't want to spend the money for it; I was surprised when I learned that it actually has properties that can make it preferable to butter, over and above any of that.

My daughter's scrambling today. She has, in no particular order, the need to work on a school project that's due in one week, work on one that's due tomorrow, finish this weekend's homework, and clean up her pet's cages. And she'd like to get together with a friend, but I kind of doubt that's going to happen, unless her time management skills show a rapid improvement.

No comments: