Friday, October 05, 2007

Plans

Its Friday evening. My wife and daughter are out at a Color Guard event, so I am at home alone. I've made myself some dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, and done a speck of reading in that book. I'm now about 90% of the way through it. They don't know who dunnit yet, but they've gotten some interesting clues. I think I could like this Sheriff Brady character.

When I went to the store today, I picked up another cake of fresh yeast. I told my wife that I would plan to make bread again, and both she and my daughter vigorously approved -- though my daughter suggests that next time out, I make four smaller loaves rather than two large ones, and that I inundate at least one of them with Asaigo cheese. We occasionally get Asiago bagels or loaves from the local Panera bread, and they both like them -- my daughter, especially. Possibly we'll try making two small loaves, and turn the rest into rolls. I don't have a plan for when that will be, but my guess is, early next week. This week, the big trial will be a recipe I found called Blueberry Pasta. I've never made pasta before, though I've made pie crusts, so this will be interesting. To add to the delight, I might use my wife's pasta machine, which she got from her grandmother. She assures me that it's relatively simple to use, to which I think 'Possibly, to an 80 year old woman who's used it for fifty years. Me, I don't know about.' But thats why its an experiment. The recipe doesn't look too terribly bad:

The Ingredients

* for the blueberry pasta dough:
* 1 cup semolina flour
* 2 tbs. oil
* 1/2 cup blueberry puree

* for the blueberry puree:
* 100 grams blueberries, washed
* 2 tbs. sugar
* juice of 1 lemon
* 1/4 cup water
* dash cinnamon

* for the amaretto cream sauce
* 1/4 cup soy cream
* 1 tbs. powdered sugar
* 1 cap full almond flavor
* 3 tbs. amaretto

The Method

Make the blueberry sauce/puree first, as you need some to make the pasta.

1. Place the blueberries in a saucepan, cover with water, add the sugar lemon juice and cinnamon and cook over a medium heat.
2. Once the berries have slightly popped, take out 1/2 of the sauce and berries to use for the pasta.
3. Mash with a fork or puree with a blender.
4. Using a food processor make the pasta dough so that it forms a solid ball.
5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut the tagliatelle shaped strips, or wind through a pasta machine.
6. Let the pasta dough dry while you make the amaretto sauce.
7. Mix the ingredients for the amaretto sauce together for a creamy smooth sauce.
8. Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente. It will only take 3-4 minutes if the pasta is fresh.
9. Serve the pasta with the amaretto sauce and the blueberry sauce.

Notes: It can be made non-alcoholic by omitting the amaretto and using almond flavor instead.



Apparently, I'll need to pick up some semolina flour. And I think I'll use regular cream, which we have, rather than soy, which we don't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soy cream sounds nasty. Stick with the natural stuff that comes from cows, like it's supposed to.

Cerulean Bill said...

My feelings exactly, CF.