Thursday, October 11, 2007

Kitchening

This morning, I mixed up the Amish Friendship Bread. After I made the French Bread, I mentioned to my wife that I wouldn't mind making some of that, too -- whereupon she surfaced a frozen container of starter! So, two loaves are in the oven, and I'm mulling over making the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe that I found in the Bakers Manual. Still got one or two chocolate chip cookies, though, and a couple of the spice cookies, so perhaps not.

We got a tiny bit of good news this morning. We tend to keep our vehicles more than the majority of people -- when we traded in the last minivan, it had about 110,000 miles on it. I know that as things go, thats not a phenomenal amount -- you frequently hear of people with mileage in the high one hundred thousands, and occasionally more -- but since a lot of people trade in at around five years, or the mid eighties, we think its significant. We tend to smile, just a bit, when we see articles sternly saying that you ought not to trade a car every couple of years. Since we'd gotten an extended warranty on one of our cars, and it helped considerably when something unexpected failed, we did that on this van -- and this morning, they informed us that the water pump was leaking, but that repair was covered by the warranty. The bad news was that they didn't have one in stock, so they gave us a loaner vehicle -- which turned out to be a PT Cruiser, which was one of the vehicles that had been on our short list when we were planning to replace our old sedan. My wife says that it's fun to drive, but that the seats are not particularly comfortable -- which could easily describe the Prius, except for the (ahem) significantly better mileage that the Prius gets.

Once the bread's done, I'm planning on going out to the library to return this book, and to pick up one for my mother. Might run the occasional errand, too. My mother's feeling a little better, though its still somewhat alarming to see how frail she can look. She never got rid of the walker that she got after she broke her shoulders, and now she uses it occasionally to move around the house. She doesn't like it -- I think its an 'old age flag' -- but it works. And the nice part is, if she's using it, and her leg freaks out again (the word from the doc is, nothing's seriously wrong), she will get more stability from that than from simply using her cane. Brings to mind that quote from the Rocky III movie: Too bad we gotta get old....

2 comments:

Sweeti said...

who in your family can eat all these carbs? Your always making breads and cookies and cakes. Amish friendship bread is loaded, I have one slice and my blood sugar goes nuts. I miss certain types of foods so much. I only bake goodies when I plan for company to share them.

Cerulean Bill said...

I bake for the pleasure, and for the accomplishment. I'd be perfectly willing to simply toss them, once they're made, but as it happens, my wife's work group is delighted to occasionally get the cookies and breads.