Monday, October 15, 2007

Conclusions

The blueberry pasta was worth doing for the experience, but not for the pasta itself. But part of that was that we (me) didn't really know what the goal was -- ie, how to interpret the recipe.

I ended up using a substantial amount more of semolina -- at the end, I wasn't even measuring, I was just dumping it into the food processor to see what it would do. My guess is that I ended up using about three to four times what the recipe called for. That overwhelmed the amount of blueberries. I think that the greater amount of semolina was overall a good idea, though; if we did it again, I'd easily quadruple, or more, the amount of blueberries. As it was, we had colored pasta, with only the faintest taste of blueberry in it.

I think that all of this started with the amount of water, as the amount in the recipe wasn't nearly enough to cover the blueberries in the pot, which is what the text said to do, and I ended up going a bit too far in adding it. I think now that what the recipe really wanted was a mash, for what was left in the pot, to be added later to the semolina, etc, and a thickened, reduced sauce to be poured over the pasta, neither of which it actually got.

The liqueur-based topping was pretty good, but even so, we ended up sprinkling sugar on it.

But it was fun. I think I'd do it again.

No comments: