Saturday, October 13, 2007

Pie, Eyed

I'm not sure, but making an apple pie might be in my near future. Bread, too.

The pie possibility comes from going to one of the local farm stands and noting, to my surprise, how many different kinds of apples they had available. I've grown used to the four or five that the local supermarket carries; by contrast, this small stand had easily ten, including a couple I'd never heard of. I'm sure that there are apple bigots who would scoff at my surprise, pointing out that in their neighborhood, there are easily twice as many, each one better than the one before, but this is enough for me. As it happened, we bought Mutsu, which I think we've had before (it was either that or Pink Lady; I remember it as being sweet, but thats about it), and they're really intended for snacking. But I've seen some articles about apple pies lately, and if I can figure out how to make a small one, I'll give it a shot.

As for the bread, we just about finished off the two loaves that I'd made a while ago, and I was delighted to find that even a week later, they were good as French Toast fodder. I was in the cooking section of the library, the other day, looking at recipes for breads, when I had one of those 'slap your forehead' moments; I have at least three cookbooks at home that have bread recipes, one of which is dedicated to bread; surely I can find something in there? Something that won't require me to return the book to the library when I'm done? So I'll be giving that a perusal, this week.

And maybe some cookies. We gave away the vast majority of cookies to the people where my wife works, but Hallowe'en is coming. If I were to bake up a dozen or two, putting each in a bag with our name and the recipe (to guard against the "don't know where it came from, better pitch it" syndrome), don't you think it'd make a decent give-a-away for the munchkins?

No comments: