Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Lazy

I'm taking it a bit slow today.

I found a book on the shelf that I'd gone about halfway through before deciding to focus on reading one or two at a time -- The Leaphorn and Chee novels, by Tony Hillerman. They're pretty quiet -- no exciting car chases, no feats of detective brilliance -- which means they fit pretty well into what I want, at the moment. I was surprised to see that I actually have about five other books up there waiting to be read. This is the kind of discovery that lead to me creating a database of books that I wanted to read, but also wait to buy. I still have it, though I haven't updated it of late.

This morning, while she was moving around the kitchen, my daughter noticed a recipe for home made mac and cheese, and asked about it. I told her that I wanted to see if I could make something that we liked as much as the Kraft stuff (and cost less, though I didn't mention that), and so I would be making it for dinner tonight. She studied it for a moment, then turned and casually said 'We have some pizza in the freezer, right?' Always good to have a backup.

It was fairly foggy this morning, but now the sun is out, and I can hear birds chirping. It reminds me that the front lawn has sprouted some weeds that I'd like to get to, but I think I'll wait a couple of days. Maybe it'll snow or something.

Yesterday, I downloaded a freeware 'pc cleaner' that I'd seen recommended in a couple of sites. The product is called CCleaner, and can be found here. It installs easily and runs quickly -- though I have to admit that if it didn't tell me that it wants to (and then, when you say okay, does) delete dozens of meg of redundant or invalid file entries, I wouldn't know. Its not as if the PC feels lighter, after all.

No baking on the agenda today -- at least, no heavy duty baking. Perhaps some cookies. I did spend some time last night reading in the thick bread book that I've got, looking at their baguette recipe. I recall reading it when I first got the book, thinking 'oh, good lord, this is impossible'. Now, I look at it, and while its still clearly on the anal-retentive side (citing, for example 'King Arthur English-style artisan flour', which I'm going to dash right out and get), it actually uses pretty much the same steps and flow as what I made the other day. In an odd way, that's comforting. But not for today.

No comments: