Tuesday, October 09, 2007

March, They Said

It's a typical October day out there -- cold, blustery -- about eighty-five degrees with a slight breeze.Whatever happened to our inalienable right to cold weather? But I do know that the heavy-duty weather is coming, as we've seen the beginning of trees turning red and yellow, and leaves fluttering on the ground in your cars wake. Leaves, of course, mean the opportunity to rake; what joy. Three years ago, we had the bright idea of having a tree-trim service lop off the upper quarter or so of the silver maple that's out in the front yard, simultaneously dropping the chance of a stray branch hitting the house, and virtually eliminating the need to rake leaves -- which is good, as the tree is surrounded by landscaped flowers that are a bear to rake around.

Tonight, my daughter is marching with the color guard in the Hallowe'en parade. I don't think I'll attend; small-town festivals don't attract me. Come to think of it, big-town ones don't, either. My idea of a good way to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade is in a comfortable room with a big-screen TV. Not yet, though.

No comments: