Monday, October 15, 2007

Comparisons

This morning, I was noodling through the entries in the Food and Cooking folder of Feed Demon, looking for sites to delete -- ones that attract me, but which I don't routinely look at. I came across the entries for the She Bakes and She Cooks site, which has an article about a mistake she make in baking some brownies; the mistake ended up using twice as much butter as required, but the resulting taste was quite good. It got me to thinking about comparisons between recipes. I pulled out a recipe I've used, and compared them --

....................................Mine ....................SB&SC
chocolate.................. 8 oz ....................... 6.5 oz
butter....................... 1 cup..................... .4375 cup (7 T)
eggs........................... 5 .............................2
sugar......................... 3 cups.................... 1 cup
vanilla....................... 1 T.......................... 1 t
flour ..........................1 1/2 cup.................1/2 cup
salt.............................. ---- ........................1/4 tsp


(How do you get columns to line up in Blogger without a lot of futzing around with blockquote?)

I was just bemused by the difference -- not so bemused that I feel the need to bake some brownies, just to compare them,though. I'll just settle for a gedankenexperiment. To me, the most interesting thing is that her mistake was to use twice as much butter as required -- ie, she was supposed to use 7 tablespoons (which is what the recipe called for) but inadvertantly used 7 ounces, which is about 14 tablespoons, or about .875 cups. Since my recipe uses a full cup, that might explain why I like the taste so much. That, and the fact that it has more of what makes it sweet, pretty much across the board.

Lets hope I didn't typo something here, because I'm not doing those conversions again!

...and I decided to keep that site in the roster.