Saturday, October 20, 2007

PuddenHaid

I mentioned to my daughter this morning that the recipe for friendship bread used vanilla pudding, and she immediately asked if there was any left. I told her there was not, but that I would look for a recipe. Amazingly, Epicurious didn't seem to have one, and neither did Joy of Desserts. I seem to recall that someone told me about one...and the search function on Blogger doesn't look through comments, thanks a lot, guys.

and todays our anniversary! Hot damn....
================
Update: Amazingly, this is the only vanilla pudding recipe I found. Its pretty similar to what my wife guessed would be in there. I'd have assumed that a 'great' vanilla pudding recipe would include a vanilla bean, but nope....

We'll give it a try.

2 1/2 Cups Milk, Divided
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Pinch Salt
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2 Egg Yolks
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Butter or Margarine

Directions:

Place 2 cups milk and salt in saucepan. Sprinkle sugar on milk and DO NOT stir; heat over medium-high heat. Quickly combine cornstarch with remaining milk,add egg yolks and mix well. When milk comes to a full boil, remove from heat and stir in cornstarch mixture. Pudding will begin to thicken. Return to heat, cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into dishes. Serve warm.

4 comments:

Rach said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you two have many many more together!

And home made pudding from scratch. YUM! I recall someone mentioning it too .. but I think they were talking about the kind you can buy at the store, but cook yourself.

Cerulean Bill said...

All I recall is that it said something about the cooked kind being better, so I think you're right, Rach. I'm really surprised that neither Epicurious or Joy Of Desserts has a recipe (at least, one that's easily found). I'm not going to go berserk looking for it, but I'll keep an eye out.

And, thank you. Twenty three years, imagine. I like to say that thats twenty three years of happily married -- I'm married, she's happily -- but I'm told that's not exactly correct. (g) And, truth to tell, it really isn't. Being married is without a doubt the best thing I've ever done. Not the most exciting -- that'd be when I flew upside down in a jet fighter -- but the most fulfilling and the most satisfying. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Rach said...

And with that kind of attitude, you'll see 23+ more years together, for sure!

My worst pet peeve is when a man hears of a couple getting engaged, and they say comments like "another one bites the dust", or crack the old 'ball and chain' jokes. OR later when the man is married and they call their wife their 'old lady' (my hubby has done that and hopefully learned his lesson :P).
Because, marriage can truly be a wonderful thing, if both people want to make it work. I can imagine it could be hell as well, but we shall not go there. lol

Anyway .. sorry about that rant. ;)

Cerulean Bill said...

I NEVER say that. In fact, I make a point to mention how much I like being married, and how glad I am that we ARE married. Seems to surprise some folks, and one or two have said that this isn't what they normally hear.

As for 'old lady': shortly after we were married, I called my wife something romantic, and she said 'Aw, I like when you call me pet names'...so for half an hour, I called her Fido. Fortunately for me, she has a good sense of humor.