Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Cranked

No, not me. The Regina Italian Macaroni Machine, which we unlimbered tonight. Its sitting on, and clamped to, the kitchen table, its sturdy crank lying next to it. Tomorrow, if all goes well, I will make some pasta from scratch, roll it into strips, and feed it through this jewel to make the final stuff for the Blueberry Lasagna. I've never done this before, so if I just get to the point where I can get anything through it, I'll consider it a partial success.

My mother bumped her leg a few days ago, and today felt a sharp pain in it, to the point where she staggered and almost went down. Off she went to the doc's this afternoon. The initial take is that there's nothing wrong, though thats dependent on getting the Xrays back (do they ship them to India to be read, I wonder?). She won't be going to exercise class tomorrow, though.

And they cancelled the Hallowe'en parade -- it's raining, with periodic thunder and lightening. I feel a little badly for them, as I'd seen at least three home-made floats sitting around the high school (which is about four blocks from the town's main drag). These aren't masterpieces of art, but people enjoy doing them, I suspect, and its a shame that they won't get to use them.

2 comments:

Molly Jane said...

On the x-rays; India is possible, they send them electronically these days. I actually have a cousin that reads MRIs from her living room and emails her diagnosis, sometimes she calls them in. And just think about the money she makes, its a pretty swank set-up. Also, she and her family lost their home to Katrina and she did this from my aunts house in WV.

Cerulean Bill said...

I had done a little reading on the subject, a while back, when I was mulling over trying to get a job with a local hospital. I never got to first base on that, but it was an interesting concept. PACS imagery (I could be dating myself, there) is digital, so its entirely possible.

Shipping jobs to India (or elsewhere) really bothers me. I had read, just yesterday, that Hillary Clinton (whom I support) does not apparently have the same level of committment to free trade that her husband did. I read it and thought 'damn right' -- even though I also remember thinking 'whats not to like' when the concept first came up in the 90s. Guess its whose ox is gored....