Monday, October 15, 2007

Doughboy

I'm doing it again, but I'm doing it a little differently. Part of that is to get different results. Part of it is because I don't exactly remember what I did, first time. This time, I'm adding some notes to the recipe.

So -- I beat the dough for ten minutes, because thats what I did the first time -- but this time, the dough is a lot stickier, so I hand-tossed some more into the mixer bowl and let it get worked in. I'm sure it wasn't that sticky last time. For that matter, I don't remember adding that much water, either - a pound of water? - but hey, thats what the recipe says, so I must have, right?

I happened not to be in the kitchen while the mixer was running, and therefore was quite surprised to hear a crash, and come out to find the mixer on the floor. Heck, I knew it was vibrating, but, my gosh.... One advantage of sticky dough: it stayed in the bowl, even on its side.

I'm in the couche step now. I can't say that with a straight face. It sounds like something that a friend would sympathize with. Oh, Bill, I'm so sorry...does it hurt much? Last time, I made two long loaves, dumped them into a metal french bread form that I've had for years, put it in the refrigerator, covered with a cloth. This time, I made a floured bed in the form with the cloth, put four small loaves into it, wrapped the whole thing with aluminum foil, and into the fridge with it. The idea is so that the dough doesn't stick to the form like it did the last time. I'm sure that a Real Baker wouldn't use the form. C'est la vie. That's French for 'sue me'.

The plan is, I'll bake some time around this time, tomorrow. Wish me luck.

No comments: