Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Two Events

Two events occurred today involving my daughter. Both caught my attention.

In one, she told me that she'd gotten an A for a presentation that she'd done. I was, of course, delighted. She then went on to say that she'd gotten less than a great mark on the written part of the presentation (where she wrote up what she later presented) because the instructor felt that she hadn't really done what she was supposed to do. The task was to compare and contrast George Washington and some current leader, matching their traits and accomplishments. She picked her aunt as the current leader (she's a senior manager at a governmental agency), but instead of comparing, she basically mentioned George, then listed some things her aunt does, then mentioned George again. My feeling was, however good what she wrote was, it wasn't what was called for -- which was the instructor's take, as well -- and therefore she should not have done so well, overall. I'm not going to ask the instructor about it (hello, you gave my daughter an A, and I think she deserved less?), so I'm not sure how to handle it. I see two problems -- the one mentioned, and that the paper, as written, was pretty weak. I admit, thats 'weak by my standards'. I can be grim when it comes to that.

The other thing was that we got a call from my daughter's guidance counselor. He wanted to let us know that she and two other kids had come to see him -- made an appointment, which fell through, and then grabbed him when he was in the hall -- to tell him about a kid in their class who they thought needed some kind of help, and wasn't getting it. He said that he was impressed by their energy and courage in stepping forward, and he wanted to let us know. We saved the message, and played it for her when she got home. She knows that we're delighted -- and I'm thinking that perhaps some small tangible proof might not be a bad idea.

...and the home made Mac and Cheese received high praise -- she said she liked it better than the previous version, mostly because we used the full amount of cheese and only half the macaroni. I think we have a winner.

2 comments:

SusieJ said...

What a day. Thank God for comfort food.

Cerulean Bill said...

Given it all, I think our timing was pretty good. I never thought that there was any magic to the Kraft mix, but still, I'm pleased that it turned out not only edible but actually preferred. Apparently, the recipe's been around for a while, typos and all.