Monday, May 07, 2007

Got Rhythm?

People who are relentlessly rational would likely tell me I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think that there is something to this biorhythms concept. Granted, you don't hear all that much about it lately, or even for the last five years, but perhaps its just entered the general consciousness as something thats generally accepted.

What leads me to this is the feeling that when things go wrong, they tend to go wrong in bunches. Some of that, I think, might be because when they go wrong one at a time, you can handle them, and, having done so, they go away and you usually forget about them. But when they arrives in groups, you're a little (or a lot) beaten down by them, and those are the ones you remember. Like now. I don't think that what I'm going through is anything remarkable -- I doubt anyone will be holding a fund-raising event for me in the near future -- but because its me, it feels remarkable. Groups of things don't normally go wrong for me, so I'm not experienced in handling them en masse. A friend uses as a tag line a phrase to the effect that she tries to take problems one at a time, but sometimes they gang up on her. I know the feeling.

A Peanuts strip from years ago shows Charlie Brown being consoled after losing yet another game. Linus says 'Some you win, some you lose, Charlie Brown.' And Charlie Brown replies, with wonderment 'Some you win?'

4 comments:

Jihan said...

my mother always say "When trouble comes it comes from all around".

I love charlie brown.

Cerulean Bill said...

Your mother (whom I assume is the Queen?) is obviously a wise person.

I usually like CB, too. Some -- like that one -- stick in my memory because they're so common to the human experience.

African Kelli said...

Ah yes, another adage: "When it rains, it pours." I am experiencing something similar.
I hope your storm passes quickly Bill.

Cerulean Bill said...

Me, too. I'm gonna have to start learning to walk on water, this keeps up!