Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Educational Standards

Boy, doesn't that sound imposing?

I bugged my daughter to talk to the three teachers in whose classes she wasn't doing well (and I realize that I'm overreacting a little bit, but I think its only a little); after a day, I also wrote each this letter (essentially the same one to each):

We were surprised to see our daughter's most recent grading period results from your class. We've told her that she needs to put forth greater effort, and that she needs to talk with you to determine if there is anything additional she ought to be doing, either generally (things she isn't doing, or doing poorly) or specifically as added-credit opportunities. If you have any suggestions or recommendations, we would welcome them.

And these are the responses -

From the class where she got a C -

Thank you for contacting me regarding her grade in English. We have had a few grades since the interim reports were printed, and she currently has an 82%. She has been performing decently this marking period – her grade was dropped a bit with her English/History persuasive essay. For some reason, I didn’t get her essay until more than a week after it was due. I have no doubt that she had it done on time, but she told me she forgot to turn it in. I had numerous students with this same issue and I was clear that if I didn’t have it on time, for whatever reason, points would be deducted.

As for the remainder of this quarter, she will have the opportunity to bring her grade up and I feel that she is very capable of doing so. We will have one vocabulary quiz and two tests for our drama unit (we’re reading "Brian’s Song"), as well as at least one more journal entry (due this Friday). As long as she continues to do her work and performs well on the tests and quiz, she should have no trouble bringing her grade up.

From one of the two B's –

She currently has a 90%. We have several assessments remaining that could raise her grade to an A. If she does her part in a Renaissance project that we are beginning today and finishes strong on her Explorers Timeline she should be able to climb into the A range.

And from the other --

Thank you for contacting me. She did struggle on the unit test, but has done really well on her other assignments. I did offer the opportunity to make corrections to the unit test and I will be updating students on their grades later this week. She has another large test on May 31st. I’ve talked with students on how to organize and prepare to study for these large unit exams. I’d be more than happy to work with her if she needs assistance- encourage her to come to see me during Period 9 on Days 1, 3 & 4. In addition, she has a daily journal in which I ask them ‘sample’ test questions, she could ask you to quiz her a few times a week to see if she really is prepared.

So, our feeling is that she has a pretty good shot at raising the two Bs to A's, and the C to a B, though possibly not an A. I was pleased by all of the responses, and particularly by the last one, which sounded to me as if the instructor is almost bending over backwards to give her the opportunity to get back up into the range where she normally performs.

Why the focus on the grades? Well, both her mother and I think that its pretty important for her to do well in school. We think that its important for her to have what I'll call a 'habit of success' -- to know that she
can do well, and that doing so makes life better for her -- that later classes are easier because she worked hard now, and that post-school successes and opportunities are more likely to occur if she does well now.

We say, and we mean, that if she does poorly, but has tried hard, we will not be seriously disappointed. We will be unhappy, but her effort counts for a lot with us. In these cases -- in particular the C -- we felt that the grade drop was (probably) a de facto proof that she was not trying as hard as she could; hence, our response.


At the same time, we know that its easy for us to say 'well, you're not trying hard enough'. I know from my own miserable performance in school that that sort of comment doesn't really help. Sometimes the kid is slacking off, but sometimes, like an engine running without being in gear, they
are trying -- but the effort is not focused, because they don't know where or how to do it. (Should they? Sure. Do they? Not always.) So we see it as our task to give her a lot of support and encouragement, and when she does well, to praise her. When she has problems, we want to know, and we want to help her get back on track.

I hope we're not asking too much of her, but I don't think we are. I would be interested to know if anyone thinks differently.

2 comments:

Rach said...

I don't think you're asking to much of her. I agree with your reasoning 100%. I think if we as parents, show our children how important school is, and their right for education .. in turn their grades will reflect that AND they won't be drop outs.

Up until grade four, our school system grades in 1,2,3, or 4. 3 being exactly where they're expected to be for their grade, time of year, etc. 4 is excelling and more then expected. And 1 and 2 are pretty self explanatory. When I see 2's, I work harder with them at home in those areas so that the next report card will reflect the extra work. So I can totally see why you couldn't let those grades just slip by.

Your daughter seems like a smart little thing, and I bet she'll raise those grades when she focuses and follows the feedback from the teachers.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, she's certainly gotten religion about the concept. I don't think she forgot how important we think it is... I think it just slipped to the back of her conciousness.

Its my guess that you have to keep reinforcing this, even for smart kids. Not just in school, either.