Friday, May 04, 2007

Effluvia

I've been going through my file cabinet, tossing items that I doubt anyone will want. Keeping the stuff no one should want, but due to paranoia, probably will; tossing the rest. Doing it slowly, because it might happen that a job opens up in this company (quite unlikely). And because doing it reminds me of why I'm doing it, and that makes me sad. Not weeping in my lunch sad (nothing so uncool as a soggy tuna sandwich), but still: sad.

==========
Talked with the Chief Operating guy, who, amazingly enough, appears to really BE that. He sounded pretty interested, and said it sounds like what I want to do is what they need people to do. He's going to have a techie call me so they can check out my bona fides and such. They'll want to know if I'm a good person to have working there; I'll want to know if I'd like being there. I'll also want to know how hard they'll want me to work, how much I'll have to travel (and how far), and how much they'll pay me. I'd like a) moderately, sometimes intensely, b) two weeks a month, three to five days per week, with occasional international travel, and c) a striking amount - say, twenty percent more than I'm making now.

I know of no way to ask those questions in a casual manner.

No comments: