Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Further Strangeness

I may have mentioned on occasion the transient feeling that 'I wish someone would just fire me, just to force me out of this rut'. Well.... we don't call it 'firing', and its not just me, but I learned this morning that my division isn't holding its own when it comes to profits, so we're alerting a whole bunch of people that they could be declared 'redundant', as the saying goes... and I'm one of them. I have until the end of the month, and if I don't find a different job, I'm out of there.

This is actually not as catastrophic an event as it might sound, because our plan was that I would work until the end of the year, or possibly next June, before leaving, and as they have a marginally generous separation package, I'd likely only lose between three and nine months pay -- not to mention, getting the summer off with pay, which I have to admit would be kind of nice. I'd rather not leave, just because earning money is better than not, but if I have to -- we'll do all right - even if we did think 'What? The day AFTER we bought a new car?'

Timing is everything, I guess.

2 comments:

Sweeti said...

Fortunately from what I gather you'd be Ok, Financially, Emotionally though it maybe be taxing trying to plan a summer that you'd already planned to work and with little or no notice you'll have to fill the void. I guess if the door closes you can open the window and let the vacation breezes blow in.

Cerulean Bill said...

I was actually planning to work from home, most of it, since my daughter goes to summer camps and needs transportation. Somehow, I don't think being available for that will be as much of a problem as I'd thought.