Friday, May 18, 2007

Drugs

Had a weird experience the other night. I don't know if it was real, though (which I suppose is a good reason for calling it weird).

I had asked for a prescription for a very mild tranquilizer to address some of the stress that I'd been feeling, and the local people gave me something called Lexapro. I looked at some pages that described its effects, and it sounded right -- but it also said that when you first took it, the effect could be to actually increase the level of nervousness and irritability. I decided to hold off on it.

Last night, I took one. About two hours later, I noticed that I was jumpy. This morning, I got up to DTB, but instead I just sat out here, feeling edgy and slightly apprehensive.

On the one hand, I do know that I have a mild tendency toward psychosomatic illnesses -- where you don't really have something wrong, but you interpret something normal or unthreatening as meaning that you do. On the other -- well, something made me feel a little off.

I think that maybe I won't take any more of these jewels.
=====================
Later:
Okay, maybe it was that, and maybe it was hunger. I haven't been eating as much as normal, this week, due to the tenderness of my upper jaw. I normally have sausage and waffles, something like that, both of which involve active chewing, and are therefore off the agenda for a while. But I just had a bowl of cereal, and now I feel somewhat better. There is a side benefit to not being able to eat as normal -- since my absolute peak weight, I've lost ten pounds. I do not expect it to stay there -- I expect to gain some of it back -- but if I continue exercising, I do expect the general trend to continue downward, which is a good thing.

2 comments:

Sweeti said...

Zanax is the only one I can take without the really weird effects you spoke of. I only use them in dire situations, but they work for me and sometimes I only take a half or even a quarter of a tab.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm thinking 'seven and seven', myself.