Friday, May 04, 2007

Cool

Its just about 6AM, and once again I DTBd. Still don't like it (sorry, Kelli), but I can't deny that something is having a positive effect on my health, and I'm willing to say that this is it. My morning measurement for all but two days of the last two weeks has been excellent, and for those two days, it was explainable. I even backed off on night insulin last night, again, and this morning was fine. Don't know how far down I can ride that horse -- my guess is, about two notches -- and I know, as sure as God made little green apples, there will be times when it rockets up for no apparent reason -- but at the moment, things look pretty good, and I'm pleased by them. Some weight loss would be good, too, but this is a heck of a start.

I am finding that I am usually sanguine about losing my job at the end of the month. Not happy, of course -- I'm a creature of habit, and I don't want to be forced to stop doing what I've been doing for the last five years -- but the fact that there is at least one alternative thats fairly palatable -- staying home full time and taking care of things -- makes it easier. I expected to be in that mode in one to two years; the benefit of that is that having it happen now means its not coming completely out of the blue.

Of course, I will pursue working elsewhere, as I mentioned. I like earning money. Do I think the people who emailed me with a response last night will come through with a job offer? I doubt it. That would be a very nice thing, akin to the job hunting strategies that Fast Company, etc advocate actually paying off, and I've never been able to make that style of behavior pay off. I have some thoughts about that, but the bottom line is what we like to say about magazines, generally: the reason they write about something is because its unusual, which means that it's not likely to happen to you, buddy. But I'll certainly pursue it, because I like most of what I know about the company, and because they'd be a good company to work for, doing stuff that I like to do. One or two other alternatives exist, too, though they're of lesser likelihood than that one, which doesn't speak particularly well for their probability of success.

But overall, in toto, I am feeling pretty good about all of this. So far, anyway. Check with me again in two weeks. I expect to be fairly glum, right about then....

2 comments:

Rach said...

Yikes! I have to say you're taking this news pretty well. Aren't they supposed to give you more notice or maybe I'm thinking of a landlord situation. You're taking it in the right attitude tho, and with that .. only good things will come of it.

My parents always have said "when one door closes, another opens." Sometimes that opening door is more like a window or peep hole, but it's something. Good luck!

Cerulean Bill said...

This is a pretty good company, but its also a big, lumbering one (one book referred to us as 'dancing with elephants'), so though I think we try to be sensitive to human needs, we aren't always particularly delicate about it. I think they're doing as well as they can, given that the motivation isn't to keep Bill happy, its to slice the budget.

I've heard that analogy, too. I am not a naturally optimistic person, but I would like to believe it.