Thursday, May 03, 2007

Commander Guy

That's a quote from the Bushman, by the way, about which, enough said.

I'm assuming that my job hunt within the company that I currently work for isn't going to pan out. There are a lot of job postings, but they seem to be roughly forty percent 'we want a salesman', twenty percent 'we want a hypertech', twenty percent 'we want someone with a very, very obscure speciality', fifteen percent a mix of the first three (we want a hypertech-aware sales capable person who can work with a product no one has ever heard of), and five percent 'reasonable'. None of them (at least, the ones that I looked at) are really much of a match for me. I'm trying, though.

I also sent a resume to a vendor we deal with; they said they like it, and wanted to set up a phone interview. I'd be happier about that except that we did the phone interview thing once before, and no job offer resulted. But what the heck, if they're willing, so am I. And I got the name of a local computer services company that is, mirable dictu, staffed predominantly by people who used to work for this company. What the person who told me about it said was 'they pay very well....and you earn every penny'. Worth a look.

So there are... possibilities. As well as my wife's, which is: I stay home, keep the house clean, cook dinner three or four nights a week, and occasionally bake bread. I can do that, too.

Some good news: I now believe that doing the bike every morning (been about three weeks now) is having an effect. I have been able to back off a skosh on the insulin that I use, and I am still getting excellent blood sugar readings. I am pleased. I'd like it more if I was perceptable thinner, but if my theory about insulin bears out, that will happen. And even if it doesn't, using less drugs, even just a little less, is a Good Thing.

Commander guy. Sheesh.

3 comments:

Narie said...

Hey Bill, I haven't had much time to comment lately but I do have successful experience in weight loss. I've lost 60 pounds and kept it off. 7 more to go now!

One of the things I wanted to mention real quick about weighing yourself. Most peoples' weight fluctuates between 3 to 5 pounds throughout the day, depending on when you weigh yourself, whether you've had alot of salty foods, you are bloated, etc.

The rule of thumb in the dieting world is to weigh yourself at the same time each time, usually in the morning when you first get up. It's the most consistent time of day for people week after week. It's really the only time of day your body is exactly the same as it was the day before and you get a more accurate reading. It's recommended to weigh yourself once a week at the same time each time.

Since I haven't had much time to comment, let me say my sympathies on the job situation, though I think you are coming out ahead in this in the long run. And also, congrats on the new car!

Rach said...

That's great to hear that constant exercise is helping you reduce your insulin intake.

I'm not sure if you read my 'lightbulb' moment post where I talked about my recent doc visit and how he insisted I get onto a weightloss plan or I'd be certain of a diabetic life. I'll cheer you on if you cheer me on! :D

Cerulean Bill said...

Narie -- thank you. I am just very pleased that I'm been able to limit my drug use, even if just by a bit. I'd like to do more, and I'll continue to (groan) get up in the morning and do the bike, but if thats all that happens -- I'll be happy.

Rach -- I certainly DID read it (in fact, I thought I commented on it). And yes, that trade sounds good to me!