Friday, May 25, 2007

AC OK

When I visited my friends in Texas, on my epic trek down from South Dakota and back up to New York, I used to delight in walking in from the heat and humidity of Fort Worth (Fut Wuth, to the natives) and into the coolness of their home. Truth to tell, it was never quite as cool as I'd like -- someone would slither out in the middle of the night and kick the thermostat down a notch or two -- but it was delightful nonetheless.

We're at that stage here, now -- and the summer hasn't even officially begun. We came back from the bookstore (where I got two Donna Leon novels; the Inspector Brunetti series, almost uniformly good), and as soon as I opened the door into the storage room from the garage, coolness flowed over me.

Bliss.

2 comments:

Rach said...

It never gets too hot here to have a permanent AC installed, but there are some that have the little mini ones hanging from their windows during the hotter parts of summer. However, we like to enjoy the hot air blown from a fan. lol

Cerulean Bill said...

Ah, yes, I remember that from my youth. You were supposed to feel that it cooled you, even though all it did was rearrange the sweat.

To give you two points of comparison about me and my fondness for coolness:
a) when I was in the Air Force, I worked briefly in a chow hall, where the part I liked the absolute best was walking into the room-sized chiller -- so cold that in the heat of August you had to wear a parka. Ah.....

b) I used to live in South Dakota, home of the four foot average snowfall and below zero temps -- and I loved it.