Saturday, October 31, 2009

Verbiage

On a drive this evening, my wife mentioned that she'd noticed that when other people spoke of those who had died, particularly those close to them, they would say they passed on, whereas when she spoke of my mother, she'd say she died. She wondered what I thought about that. I told her that in my view it was not only reasonable to say it as she did, it was preferable. It put the event up front in black and white, and forced you to face it, to deal with it.

Of course, I added, after a moment, I can say my mother died without too much trouble, but I still stumble a bit over my mother is dead.

4 comments:

STAG said...

I believe that MY mother is in a "better place".

Cerulean Bill said...

Better than Canada? Is that even possible?

STAG said...

Ah well, she had this belief thing....
Sort of rubbed off on me.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, I'll tell you - me, too. Somewhat. More as I get older.