Saturday, October 03, 2009

Wealth

I was thinking, in a desultory way, about wealth, the other day. The motivator was an article on a blog which mentioned one person so wealthy that he had one large yacht from which he would hit golf balls, and a second from which his staff would judge the flight of the ball. The author mused over what he'd do with such virtually limitless amounts of money, and so I did, too.

I imagine that everyone has a version of the If I had lots of money daydream. Even Gandhi probably occasionally thought that it'd be nice to have a newer loincloth. When I was a kid, and would occasionally go to the main branch of the New York Public Library, which is a massive building, full of huge echoing halls of marble and vast cathedral-like ceilings, I'd pretend that this was my home, and all of those other people were simply staff for me, dedicated to my every whim. Lately, when the mood comes upon me, I think of the Robert Ludlum novel where he sketches out the palatial home of a very wealthy man, furnished with thick, intricately woven carpets, gleaming wood and glistening glass, comfortable libraries where tea is served in delicate china, and great displays of freshly-cut flowers throughout, all tended by an army of staff. Man, I'd think, that'd be the life.

A coworker once had a plaque which said Money Doesn't Buy Happiness, But It Does Help You Look For It In More Interesting Places, but we all know that wealth doesn't actually guarantee happiness. I recall reading about William Randolph Hearst and San Simeon, which was nothing to him but a bauble, with so many artifacts from around the world that he'd have to keep them stored in warehouses -- many to remain and decay there, unseen. I recall reading of a teenager in Britain who won about two million dollars in a lottery, and blew it all, ending up poor and pregnant a decade later - I just thought that if I bought things for people, they'd be happy . We've heard of others. We're always a bit surprised to hear of someone who comes into great wealth and isn't destroyed by it.

D
espite all that, I think that great wealth would be nice.

What I work to remember is that we are wealthy - and not just in the ethereal sense. We have our own home, bought and paid for two decades ago. We have a goodly number of assets. We're healthy -- well, pretty much, and where we aren't, it's under control. We're doing well. I have to remember that. Right now, I'm sitting in a pleasant room, with nicely done architectural details, sipping good coffee. That's wealth, too.

Though, you know -- the occasional echoing marble hall -- would that be so bad?

4 comments:

Tabor said...

i have traveled throughout the third world and have had people from those countries visit. It is all a matter of perspective as I appear very, very, very wealthy to them.

Cerulean Bill said...

I appear wealthy to some of my relatives. Some of my relatives appear wealthy to me.

There are times that I think we'd be a lot better off if we could understand how to appreciate what we have, and not lust after more, just for the sake of having it. I occasionally will think of the fabulous amounts that well-paid actors will pay to rent a house for a week in some idyllic location. I think Yes, they like it. But appreciate it? Past the first day, I'd guess not. I've stayed in some pretty expensive places, and that's usually how long it takes me to think it normal to have flat screen TVs in every room, six hundred thread-count sheets, and fresh-cut flowers in crystal stands. It drops below the perception threshold.

(Though I do think, on occasion, Dammit, with all that great television reception can't we get great television CONTENT? Never satisfied, me.)

Tabor said...

Smile. I agree on TV content. I am paying through the nose for Cable and 85% is c**p.

Cerulean Bill said...

Easily. We're likely going to get an HD tv, which means paying for HD content. My wife has gotten tired of hearing me say If the damn content were at least better, I wouldn't mind paying for it....