Friday, October 09, 2009

Later That Morning

Just got back from the hospital. My daughter urgently wanted to see her, and I did, as well. I was surprised to find that my mother was relatively alert -- sort of what you're like when you first come out of anesthesia. She was using an oxygen face mask, and that seemed to be making a major difference. No word on her other problems, or on the prognosis, but still: better than I'd hoped.

============
Update: We're talking dialysis. Three times a week. Which is a major bummer. On the other hand, it will address water retention and blood pressure, which will collectively address (though not resolve) her pulmonary problem. So, overall, a good thing. Even if I am the person who will likely have to take her, most times.

----------------
Update: Telling an elderly person that she'll have to go through a tedious procedure three times a week, and that this procedure will go a long ways toward keeping her alive, does not mean that the person will be cheerful at the prospect. Almost exactly the contrary.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this. It brings up unhappy memories. Just remember that those who are caring for her only want to keep her alive...they do not care if she is happy about it.

Cerulean Bill said...

I think caring isn't a consideration, you're right. You'd like to think, though, that there's a point where you come out the other side in a reasonably healthy and content state. Right now, all I can see is a working definition of idiopathic illness. Elderly people don't have much resistance, and the steps to save can also weaken, or worse.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, it could be worse. Three days ago, we thought she would die. Now, we don't think so.