Thursday, October 01, 2009

A Fib

For the last two months, my mother's been out of breath. Talked to various docs, nobody knows why. About a week ago, I said we need to do something, so I called the pulmonary office where she normally goes, got an appointment with one of the other docs, the one she normally sees not being around, and the other guy said Whoa, that is a very fast heartbeat. I think it's atrial fibrillation. What's the number of her cardiologist? So off we went to the cardio place, where they said Whoa, that is a fast heartbeat. How long have you been out of breath? And when we told him, he said two months!!! I'm admitting you to the hospital, today. This could lead to a stroke!

So right now, my mother's in the hospital, with wires and all that, and a little monitor screen showing all sorts of interesting numbers and graphs.
============
Update: Calcium channel blockers are amazing things.

No comments: