Thursday, October 01, 2009

Results

Well, the kiddo got her grades.

The good news is, she did okay in what I consider to be the hardest courses. Not great, but not bad.

The bad news is, she tanked on English. Which I suppose, given the content, ought to be called Literature Analysis or something. I told my wife that while its not good, still, doing badly in a course aimed at analyzing literature -- well, it doesn't make me as unhappy as doing badly in one aimed at science. And I'm not even a science freak -- its just that science, I can see the point of, while analysing the meta-themes of some novel - well.

But I suppose we'll have to address it.
==============
We're trying to be empathic without being patsies. On the one hand, she didn't acheive what we said she had to achieve. On the other, she tried very hard, and did better than expected in a difficult course. On the third hard, one extracurricular activity means a lot to her, and taking it completely away would hurt her without improving grades, which is, after all, the goal. On the fourth....

This is complicated, but we're working it out.

No comments: