Sunday, November 01, 2009

Probabilities

Well, today's the day. Unless, you know, it's not.

We bought the gift cards at the local supermarket, so that we could immediately buy the gift cards for the Best Buy (the convoluted scheme is so that this major purchase gets a portion credited to my daughter's account at school; don't ask). Last night, we went and looked, and found first, to our dismay, that Best Buy had just about completely moved out all of their LCD TVs -- LED TVs are their new love -- but then found that they still had the one we want -- in fact, had about five of them left. So...

This morning, talking about connections, I wondered how, exactly, are we going to connect our four-year-old DVD/VCR player to this thing? Come to find out there is a cable/satellite jack on it, so we should be able to make the same kind of connection to the new TV as we have now --- ie, the DVD/VCR will connect to the TV's cable jack; the Tivo will connect to the TV's HDMI input.

So then I wondered: right now, with one device, the TV just sits on channel 3 and we tune with the tuner on the DVD/VCR player. How will this work with the Tivo? Probably the same, I thought. Probably. Guess we'll know this afternoon. Unless, of course, we don't.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

You are making my brain hurt. I hate this stuff and that I why I had the professionals do it and then had my geeky son down to customize the speaker settings and the all-in-one remote control.

Cerulean Bill said...

.....well, I'm a small-g geek. Some of this stuff, I understand, some, not so much. Besides most of those professionals are just someone who's seen someone else do it.

I love when one review says Well, this model doesn't have feature X...., and then the review of the next level up says this model has feature X, but it doesn't buy you much....