Sunday, October 11, 2009

Obama, And So Forth

Here's the deal. I hate agreeing with someone who says something non-complimentary about Obama. Hate it. I know that while there are people who will say such things honestly, if I can put it that way, I believe that many of them say it because they don't like him, and if he saved a puppy from a burning house, they'd point out that he didn't save the puppy's favorite chew toy, thus dooming the puppy to a life of anguish and despair. I don't want to give any support to people like that. It's okay for me to quietly say that perhaps what he's doing is not great, but them? Not a chance they're being honest. Forget them.

So when I have to conclude that something they say is actually right, it sticks in my craw. As in the case of the Nobel Peace Prize. I don't think that Obama deserves it. Mighty as his labors have been, invigorating as his words are, he's not - yet - of the caliber to earn such an award. He hasn't changed the characteristics of mankind, hasn't eradicated poverty, hasn't .... I really don't like saying this. I've already said why.

Will he eventually be at a level of achievement that would warrant the Prize? Yes, I think so. But not yet. He's been great, but he's not yet Great. If he can turn the Prize down, I think he should.

No comments: