Friday, October 02, 2009

Later That Same Day

Much later, in fact. It's just after eleven, and we're still waiting for the kiddo to tell us that their bus is back. It was supposed to be here around 11. They will not, of course, alter the start time for practice, tomorrow, or the game. At least the game is at home. It's hours like this that harden me in my resolve to be hardnosed about whether the offspring can continue to participate in it. I wonder sometimes whether other parents have these thoughts.

We went to see my mother this afternoon; to my surprise, she was not doing at all well. Apparently, she had a most unsettling day, from having a heavy bleed from the point of insertion for an IV -- so much so, they had to change the sheets, and give her at least two bags of blood -- and her pulse rate, which was down in the 80s, is now up in the high nineties and low hundreds. I don't know how much cardizem she was taking yesterday; today it's a 5 mg drip (I guess that's per day; I don't really know). So she's a little agitated, and a little wasted. She tells us that they say she'll likely be in the hospital for a week. Gah. You know she's going to get a bill statement with at least four pages of incomprehensible information, and a five digit total.

We noticed that one of the nurse's stations had two terminals on the counter, facing out, so that they could be used by someone standing outside the station; each of them had a sign on them saying No One Sits Unless We All Sit. I thought it sounded like a labor slogan, so I asked one of the nurses there, who told me that it was a team-building slogan, along the lines of If One Person Is Working, We're All Available To Help. I asked her if the slogan works, and she said they'd just started.

No comments: