Sunday, October 25, 2009

Geez

This morning, they mentioned at mass that the church youth group would be inviting anyone who ever had been in the military to join them at a mass in a gesture of recognition for their service. My daughter leaned over and asked "So, you going to go hang out with the geezers and talk about wars?" I told her that the older I get, the younger they get. But, as it turned out, on the way home, I had a geezer moment.

Five or six college girls were standing at the points of an intersection, collecting money for a charitable organization as part of an annual Penn State effort. Most were just standing there, but one with Asian features was actively dancing back and forth, bobbing up and down and shaking as she held out the basket. On the way out of the store, I thought about her, planning to put money in her basket. Just because I was impressed by those moves.

And then I thought: sixty years old. If I were younger, being attracted by her moves would be no big deal. But at sixty? And I shuddered. Sadly.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I think our society is too afraid and too PC. I find some very seductive pictures of my granddaughter that I would like to post in an art way as they show the beauty she will become...but because there are so many weirdos out there I cannot even go there. You being impressed by the girls moves is perfectly normal and NOT creepy. As long as you don't do something creepy....

Cerulean Bill said...

Even when I was the right age, I didn't. Not nearly confident enough. Being in a coinstitutional Catholic school reinforced the look-from-afar, too.

And yes, you hear of people posting innocuous photos all the time, and getting caught up by it. Last I heard was a couple on a vacation, young daughters, holding them after their bath...the local Walmart employee called the cops. The killer is, the cops said it was obviously okay, but still, they called the child protective people, whose default is, Take First, Question Later. Argh.