Monday, August 13, 2007

Things I've Never Understood

#37: Hammertime. What exactly is that? Is it a drinking reference, or a macho thing, or what?


#4: Lacy Womens Underwear. I'm talking about what shows up in the mainstream catalogues like Victoria's Secret. Unless it has the tensile strength of steel, it all looks like it'd break first time you weren't really gentle with it. Do people actually and routinely wear this stuff?

#17: Speed Control Signs. These are the signs you occasionally see on the highway that say things like 'Intensive Speed Monitoring in Effect'. As distinct from what -- Casually Glancing Over Once In A While?

3 comments:

Narie said...

It's Hammertime! http://youtube.com/watch?v=JomHWt7p6-c

The exact phrase is right before the 2 minute mark. Generally it means, it's time to get moving/get something started/etc. The early 90's were a scary time hehe.

Cerulean Bill said...

So, as in 'time to put the hammer down'? I knew that Tom DeLay was known as The Hammer because of his intense style, and wondered if that might be the source. I've also seen it in a number of stupid videos that implied something about 'time to act', but also could be taken to mean 'now its too late, you've lost'.

Ah, linguistics.

Cerulean Bill said...

I just looked at the video. Its source is MC Hammer? I would never have suspected that. I guess I need to learn more about what the hep cats are groovin' to... (g)