Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Weird Thoughts

No, not the ones about the kangaroo, the mayonnaise, and the popsicle sticks. I don't tell anyone about those.

One is, I'm starting to wonder if I really want to go back to Australia in five years, when my daughter's out of high school. More accurately, do I really want to pay for the flight, at business class rates. For that same amount, we could all go to Europe, see multiple countries, stay in nice hotels or apartments.... Or, if we did really want to go (and, no lie, I really do want to go, I just want it...closer), would I be willing to risk terminal rigor or deep vein thrombosis by flying in steerage class for thirteen hours at a shot. Right now, the Europe option is ahead.

Another is, those ads you see on occasion for the high-wall bathtubs with a door in the side. We occasionally think of having one put in for my mother who lives with us, but today we found that they're pretty expensive -- we don't know how much, but one maker is offering a thousand dollars off. How much these things cost if they can offer that much off staggers the imagination. So, since my imagination was being staggered, I found myself wondering if there might be a more elegant solution -- say, a very small swimming pool with an under-water seat and a walk-in ramp. I'm guessing it would take about three feet for the 'tub' part, and about ten feet for the ramp. I wonder: is that even feasible? Its intriguing -- and I like the idea of a tub I could use. I'm not immensely large, but I am usually not comfortable in a standard tub. I can sit with my back up, or my knees up. No total submergence. Something like that might just do the trick. Probably not cost effective, though.

The raisin bread turned out well enough for people at my wife's office to ask for seconds. That's goodness. Now I'm looking for a different bread to make. I'm enjoying this, got to admit.

No comments: