Thursday, August 16, 2007

...A Pepperoni on the Barbie?

Last night we made grilled pizza. Turned out pretty well.

I had made some honey dough for pizza last week, and didn't use all of it up, so the plan was to make the rest last night. My wife suggested splitting the dough into two pieces so that we could handle it more easily -- last week, putting it on the baking stone, we had a lot of trouble because the dough was still a little sticky. I took her advice, making two rounds (more or less) about 8 inches across (more or less). I was a little surprised that they went that wide, but I was specifically trying for a thin crust, and thats what I got. In retrospect, I could have made it a little less thin, but it wasn't a big deal.

I fired up the grill, turning on both burners. To my surprise, it got up to about 700 degrees pretty quickly, so when my wife came home, we slid the first one on and it immediately puffed up and began to cook. (We had liberally floured a cookie sheet to use as a delivery system, and it worked well.) We thought we'd have to cook it about three minutes on the first side, but turned out to be more like one and a half. We pulled it off -- oh, look, authentic charring marks! -- flipped it over, applied the toppings, and put it back on for just over a minute. And pulled out a bottle of sangria we've been working on for the last six months.

The result? Very thin crust, very nice favor. Next time, we might nuke the pepperoni a bit to do some pre-cooking, and make the dough a little thicker -- but overall, not bad, not bad at all.

2 comments:

genderist said...

We tried doing this a few months ago and found exactly that-- it needs some pre-cooking in the oven first, and it works best on extra thing pizzas.

:)

And it's fantastic with some grilled pineapple, too.

Cerulean Bill said...

Grilled as in you take a chunk of pineapple and grill it directly? Does it then go onto the pizza, or what?