Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Organizing

One of the things that I've been doing with my suddenly-copious spare time is getting all of the recipes that we have in multiple places into some kind of order. Primarily, that means categorizing them, tossing the ones we didn't like or won't ever make, and getting a digital copy. Of course, as soon as you say 'copy', you have the potential for a problem, where one copy says one thing, and one says something else -- which is why the Cincinnati Chili that we made last week ended up being a double batch. Good thing we like it.

Frequently, I'll find a recipe that I had typed up and put onto an index card, or a sheet of paper, but I don't have the original. After I laboriously retyped some of that, and once or twice scanned it (its a mark of our age that even OCR sounds tedious, sometimes), I wondered: if I got these from the web, are they still there? And since then, I always do a quick search before doing any other actions. And about 90% of the time, I find it -- either the exact recipe, or the original that I'd then modified -- as in the chili, where the original makes a big batch, but our notated copy said 'Make Half'.

Thus, it always comes as a bit of a surprise when Google doesn't find the original, so if I want to have a digital copy, I need to type it in. And since I wanted a digital version of recipe for the cookies I made today, I have to, so...

Chunky Chocolate Almond Shortbread

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 lightly packed light brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds
4 oz coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup sugar in a plastic bag

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper, or leave ungreased.
3. Let butter come to room temperature.
4. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into small bowl and set aside.
5. Cream butter, brown sugar, vanilla in medium bowl until light and fluffy (about a minute.). Scrape sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
6. Add the egg white and mix until blended, about 10 seconds.
7. Add flour mixture and ground almonds and beat for 20 seconds on low speed.
8. Scrape the bowl.
9. Add chocolate and coarsely chopped almonds; beat on low speed until incorporated
10. Measure rounded teaspoons of dough and roll into balls.
11. Put each dough ball into bag of sugar and shake to coat.
12. Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Flatten each ball.
13. Bake until firm and crunchy through, about 21 minutes

No comments: