Saturday, August 18, 2007

Eww!

I heard a woman doing a comedy routine ask why it was that when you take something out of the refrigerator, and it smells odd, your impulse is to say 'Ewww, this smells awful -- here, smell this!" This morning, we took some sausage out, started cooking it, and after a while we looked at each other and said 'Gah, whats that smell?' So we looked at the package, and it had expired a week ago -- but the thing is, if it smelled bad, but the expiration was in the future, would we have eaten it anyway? I sure hope not.

Today I will make the initial starter for the sourdough bread that I want to bake this week; this afternoon I make the Cincinatti Chili, and this afternoon, we make the vanilla gelato -- the mixture's been in the refrigerator since yesterday -- and then on Monday, I'll make the cinnamon raisin bread. One of the side effects of me making dinners routinely is that we have a lot more leftovers than normal, so we just had some of them for dinner last night, and we'll have the remainder today. That'll take care of the 'real food' leftovers, though we still have a) a frozen apple pie from a fund raiser, b) a frozen Tiramisu that I picked up on a whim two weeks ago, and c) three quarters of a quart of chocolate ice cream, which we'd gotten about two months ago. We've not been too big on desserts, this summer!

I'm looking forward to making that bread.

No comments: