Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chaos: Theory and Practice

Well, the school year is only in its first week, second day, and already we're in a state of moderate chaos.

Part of it is because the color guard people have ramped up the amount of practice that they want to do, to a level that we think isn't sustainable. Apparently, its just supposed to be for one to two weeks, but its a lot, no matter how long. My daughter's already talking about dropping out. We think its that she's overwhelmed by the complexity of the routines that they do, and the amount of effort that they have to put into practice.

Also, last night, in the 'sectional' practice, she dropped a necklace. I told her that I would go over to the high school this morning and hunt around for it; fortunately, I asked if she'd like to come along, and she did -- and actually found it, which was quite the trick, as it was a dark cord necklace against grass and dirt. But thats half an hour of my life I won't get back.

Though thats really not fair, as I was up a little early to see if I could see the lunar eclipse. As is normal when I try to do things like that, I couldn't. When the Perseid meteor shower happened, I went out around 4AM, and was surprised to see that even around here, there was enough night-time glow from lights that the sky was faintly illuminated, wiping out the shower display. This morning was hazy, and I didn't see the moon at all, let alone, eclipsed. Unless you want to call haze an eclipsing event.

This morning, my wife's going to see a doctor about some swelling that she's had. This doctor checks her every six months or so for a blood problem, and thats one of the things he looks for, so she figured she should go to him. Makes sense to me, much as I hate doctors, period.

And in about two weeks, I'll have the bone graft surgery, which means about one to two months of chewing very carefully. I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

SusieJ said...

OH my. Once the routine settles down, things will get better. But to be honest, we're going through the same stuff here. Surgery, sound serious.

Cerulean Bill said...

Its being done as an outpatient at my dental surgeon's office, so I don't think its a big deal. The eating will be a pain, but nothing insuperable.

I agree about the routine. But those kids really DO spend way more time than I'm comfortable with, practicing -- 4 hours a night, twice a week, plus one hour once a week, plus an actual show, each week. I don't like it. We'll be keeping a tight eye on her schoolwork and performance there.