Friday, August 17, 2007

Fire!

Fireplaces are, in general, just devices to take whatever heat you have in your home and send it right up the chimney, not to mention, get the occasional shower of soot back down. But I like them, like a lot of people, and if we ever build a house, I'll have one put in -- most like a zero-clearance one (which I always think of as a 'zero-tolerance' one, for some reason). It'll be a traditional looking one, even so, because I don't like excessively modern ones. They don't appeal to me.

Though, seeing this one from Cathy Azria, maybe some do:

4 comments:

Rach said...

I love fireplaces too .. the original kind that you burn actual wood. We have one, but have the entrance covered over because our landlord insisted he didn't have the extra insurance to allow us to use it. Argh! Tho I must admit I do enjoy having a mantle around C-Mas time, to hang the stockings. :)

By the way .. I tagged you.
http://dutchfemka.blogspot.com:80/2007/08/pictured-name-tag.html

Cerulean Bill said...

What does it mean to be tagged?

I once proved my basic geekishness to my daughter by explaining where the phrase mantelpiece on a fireplace came from. She nodded silently, thinking, I'm sure, of what an idiot her father could be, sometimes...

genderist said...

That looks like it'd be hard to dust. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Not a problem for me -- I never acknowledge the need to dust!