Sunday, August 26, 2007

Working

No, I didn't get a job. I was just thinking about working.

I worked for a major computer software company for a bit over twenty years, and then for another major one for about six years. I'd still be with the last one had they not been doing layoffs as a method of budget enhancement, which I suppose is a logical extension of the concept of the employee as a 'resource' -- ie, 'Human Resources' -- instead of a person. Costs too much, chop 'em.

Whats weird to me is that I kind of wish I was still working at that last company. Its weird because I don't want to work, full time, again. I was tired of that, so their decision to pitch me was timed fairly well. My plan, such as it was, ran along the lines of leaving next June, so they accelerated it by about nine months, given the severance package they laid upon me.

But whats weird, as I say, is that I'd still like to work there anyway. Not as an employee -- just because I liked being able to say that I worked for them. Though they're screwed up in some major ways, I just liked being part of that group -- liked having some things with the familiar blue logo, liked seeing that on emails and such. I liked being in a company with smart people doing challenging things, even if I never met them and my own stuff was grunt work most of the time. I even liked some of the trivia, like 'how many blue lines are in the logo', knowing which has no value whatsoever. I just liked it.

Weird.

Oh -- and, its 'forty blue lines, assuming a blue on a white background, and counting each slash separately; 26, if white on blue'. In case you wondered.

No comments: