Friday, August 24, 2007

MidDay

Well, for someone who was in a grumpy mood a bit ago, I'm not doing too badly.

Things were pretty good for most of the day. I added some dough to the sourdough starter, planning to bake it this afternoon. I had wanted to make a vanilla sponge cake this morning, and some 'mudslide cookies', both for the practice, but I didn't have enough eggs -- one called for 5 eggs plus 5 yolks, and the other called for 4 eggs. Ah, no. So I tabled that, went out at lunch, picked up the daughter and her friend at band camp....which is when things started to go downhill for a while.

Not big things --- just things like I wanted to say something nice to one girl about her camo backpack, and as I turned to do that, another hustling girl bumped into me, glared as if it were my fault, and then the girl with the backpack reacted as if I'd made a salacious proposal. My daughter leapt out of the car to get a friend, and damn near got hit by another car (okay, maybe it wasn't that close, but close enough). When she got back in the car, with her friend, I told her that I thought what she'd done was terminally stupid, and her friend started to ride her on it, which she didn't like (not that she was thrilled by my comment, either). After we dropped the friend off, I apologised to her; though I made sure she knew that I still thought it was dumb, I also made sure she knew why I was so incensed at that precise moment that I had to speak harshly to her even though her friend was there. Then we went off to buy her new sneakers (ouch, those are expensive), and as we left, she told me that 'Mom always takes the old ones home to decide if we'll throw away or give away'. Well, they were pretty ratty, and I don't much care for the idea of giving stuff to charity that looks ratty to me, but still, the comparison bugged me. We stopped at a bakery, behind an elderly indecisive man...and by the time we got home, the lawn was starting to dry, and looked ragged, even in the places where I'd mowed this morning.

So I was in a bit of a funk.

But after a piece of pizza, and some flabbered water, and then a piece of my own raisin bread (which, once firm, is better than I thought), I feel better. But now, I want to take a nap...even though I also want to bake, and mow. Nap first, I think.

6 comments:

genderist said...

Pizza and naps: two things that can fix everything, used together in that order will have synergestic effects...

Cerulean Bill said...

And lets not forget the medicinal effects of home-made raisin bread. I woke up, groggily thinking that I felt tired...perhaps I should take a nap. But then I realized what 'waking up' implied....

Feel better now. The sourdough's rising, and I'm going to make those Mudslide cookies.

Rach said...

My recent self appointed motto for days like that and ones I've been having lately, is to shop! Yeah .. the good kinda shopping tho .. like for pointless things.

Napping always makes me feel worse then before, so I don't do it. But having a slice of homemade raisin bread may just hit the spot!

Cerulean Bill said...

Stop by, and I'll give you some. Heck, if you come by in the next couple of hours, you can have one of the Mudslide cookies. The first batch is in the oven now. They're right about the dough for these -- its more like a bowl of thickly molten chocolate than a 'dough'. I'll have to up the insulin before I have any!

Hope your days get better. You deserve it. And if its obvious to me, a continent away and in a different country, it must be true, right?

STAG said...

sound like a typical day in the life....grin!

Cerulean Bill said...

Exactly right, sir.