Friday, August 10, 2007

Well, That Was Interesting

One of the people with whom I used to work told me that he and a few others would be playing at a local coffee house. I'm not a big fan of coffee house music, but I like him, and so my wife and I toodled over there this evening. He was playing from seven thirty till nine; we got there a little before eight.

I forgot he was a serious Christian. All of his group were, apparently. And I didn't know how serious a Christian he was. Some of his offhand comments about how often he 'worships at home' clued me in on that. Apparently, quite a lot.

The music was pleasant, but it was all Christian-oriented. Every bit of it. I'm not a fan of religious music because its all so lugubrious -- the organist at our church likes to play what I call Death of God music-- but this was new to me. I've never before heard songs which a) were about 90% the same line repeated, and repeated, and repeated, and b) had lyrics like 'his blood drips down upon me; I bathe in his blood'. I catch the reference, but even twice is a little spooky, and multiple times is more than a little scary. This is metaphor, right, guys? Guys?

I still like him, and his family (some of whom were there). He's a nice guy. But I doubt strongly we'll go back.

Does make me wonder what atheists sing at their get-togethers, though.

2 comments:

Narie said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hk41Gbjljfo

*grins*

Actually, all lyrics aside, a beautiful song musically as well.

Cerulean Bill said...

Hmm....interesting. Thanks.